- The washing machine and the refrigerator are going
to start "talking" to the television thanks to a new standard about
to be published by the Geneva-based IEC. This new ability to network
traditional household appliances with personal computers and
audio-visual equipment will offer such possibilities as your
television screen displaying the fact that the washing machine has
finished washing your clothes or turning on an air conditioner from
your personal computer.
The new standard links the two different communications networks
established for the household appliances and audio visual equipment.
These were set up separately largely because of the different product
lifecycles for the fast-moving audiovisual equipment and computers
compared with slower-changing household appliances which tend to stay
in use over periods of several years.
This specification, Home Network Communication Protocol over IP
for Multimedia Household Appliances (IEC 62457), has several key
- It can be used with existing home networking standards;
- Both Home Network nodes with TCP/IP Layer and without can
coexist under the same Home Network Middleware;
- Household appliances can communicate with audiovisual equipment,
PCs and PC-related equipment, and vice-versa, without requiring
- Household appliances can handle text and audiovisual data;
- Audiovisual equipment, PCs and PC-related equipment can handle
household appliances data; and
- Household appliances can freely select a suitable lower-layer
medium from various lower-layer media below TCP/IP.
The new standard is due to be published in October 2007 and sSome
products applying its specifications are now on the market in Japan.
The new specification is from the IEC Technical Committee 100,
Audio, video and multimedia systems and equipment. Media wishing to
address the project leader for this new specification are kindly
requested to contact:
Contact for technical questions
Mr. Norimasa MINAMI
IEC TC 100 Assistant Secretary
General media contact
Mr. Dennis Brougham
IEC Central Office, Geneva, Switzerland