Bern (ots) - Nicht jeder Kindersitz passt in jedes Auto. Deshalb hat der TCS auch dieses Jahr wieder ...
New Website Looks at the Science Behind Stroke
Macclesfield, England (ots/PRNewswire) -
- www.novelneuroprotection.com Aims to Increase Understanding of Acute Ischemic Stroke and the Potential Role of Neuroprotection
- For Medical Media Only
A new resource for the international medical community was launched in September 2006 by AstraZeneca, www.novelneuroprotection.com. This educational site aims to help healthcare professionals understand more about acute ischemic stroke and the potential therapeutic approach of neuroprotection.
Dr Tomas Odergren, Global Product Director, AstraZeneca commented, "Around a third of the 15 million people worldwide who suffer a stroke each year are left permanently disabled. There are relatively few treatment options available for acute stroke patients. Neuroprotectants are a new class of drugs in development to treat this life-shattering condition. This website is designed to help stroke specialists and other healthcare professionals understand the science behind neuroprotection and the latest advances in technology."
The site includes key information on the effects of cerebral ischemia, which occurs when a blood vessel in the brain is blocked during a stroke. Cerebral ischemia triggers a series of biochemical events known as the ischemic cascade. This results in the death of brain cells, or neurons, in the core affected area of the brain. In addition, neurons are injured in the wider surrounding area, known as the ischemic penumbra. Neuroprotectants are thought to help preserve brain cells in the ischemic penumbra by interfering with the damaging events of the ischemic cascade.
In a series of short articles, the web site explains these changes which take place at the cellular and molecular level. Details of how neuroprotectants are thought to interfere with these events and could potentially offer improved outcomes for stroke patients are also discussed. With the stroke image atlas, healthcare professionals have access to over 750 high-quality images that are accompanied by detailed explanatory text. It provides a visual and practical insight into the etiology, diagnosis, and management of stroke. In addition, www.novelneuroprotection.com is interactive and features constantly updated stroke news, a calendar of stroke events, key international meetings and links to relevant PubMed articles.
Alternatively visit www.astrazenecapressoffice.com
Notes to Editors:
- AstraZeneca is currently developing NXY-059, an investigational drug for treatment of stroke, licensed from Renovis, Inc. NXY-059 has a proposed mechanism of action of free radical trapping and is being studied as a neuroprotectant in clinical trials based on positive effects seen in experimental models of acute ischemic stroke.
- The SAINT trials for NXY-059 are being conducted worldwide in approximately 400 centres across 40 countries to evaluate the effect of the compound in acute ischemic stroke patients. These countries and regions include: Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, United States, Canada and Latin America. SAINT II is due to report in the first half of 2007.
- NXY-059 was previously referred to as 'Cerovive'. NXY-059 will be used from this point forward until a global trademark has been approved.
- A preliminary analysis of SAINT I was first presented at the European Stroke Congress in May 2005.
- CHANT (Cerebral Hemorrhagic And NXY-059 Treatment) is a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multi-center, phase IIb study to assess the safety and tolerability of NXY-059 in adult patients with acute intracerebral hemorrhage. This study is complete and is due to report in Q1 2006.
AstraZeneca is a major international healthcare business engaged in the research, development, manufacture and marketing of prescription pharmaceuticals and the supply of healthcare services. It is one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies with healthcare sales of over $21.4 billion and leading positions in sales of gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, respiratory, oncology and neuroscience products.
AstraZeneca is listed in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (Global) as well as the FTSE4Good Index.
In Neuroscience, AstraZeneca markets several products including SEROQUEL(R), one of the fastest growing global antipsychotics and ZOMIG(R), a migraine therapy and a leader within the global triptan market. The Neuroscience pipeline includes investigational compounds for the treatment of depression and anxiety, overactive bladder, dementia, stroke, pain control and anaesthesia.
ots Originaltext: AstraZeneca
Im Internet recherchierbar: http://www.presseportal.ch
For further information contact: Virginie Bousquet, AstraZeneca, Tel:
+44-(0)162-551-7831, Virginie.Bousquet@astrazeneca.com. Nii Turkson,
Porter Novelli, Tel: +44-(0)207-853-2237, Fax: +44-(0)207-853-2244,